Location: Power Cafe
Rate of pay: $13.06/hour
Hiring status: Currently hiring
Open to non-UI students: No
Provide direction and supervision for student employees in assigned areas in the absence of a full-time supervisor. Enforces departmental policies and procedures, opens and closes assigned area(s), and handles emergency situations. Additional tasks may include food preparation, serving customers, sanitation, cash handling, and promoting a positive customer experience.
• May open and close retail operations independently. Perform assigned job responsibilities independent of management supervision.
• Enforce departmental policies and procedures, providing supervision and direction to student employees to meet required performance standards.
• Document and report operational and performance issues to supervisor.
• Provide leadership and serve as professional role model.
• Organize staffing assignments for all work areas and redistributes student employees as needed.
• Ensure a high level of customer service, answering questions, addressing concerns and displaying a friendly disposition. Completes daily shift report documenting any incidents or concerns involving facilities, equipment, customers and/or employees.
• Ensures student employees follow established food preparation, service, and sanitation guidelines.
• Oversees clean up; supervising student staff and ensuring all tasks are completed in a timely manner.
• Complies with all safe food-handling procedures and complying with all personal hygiene, grooming, and uniform requirements.
• Train new student employees and ensure they understand all their assigned tasks and responsibilities.
• Responsible for checking out keys to open the assigned areas and returning them after securing the areas for the day.
• Make decisions in emergency situations.
• Additional responsibilities as assigned. May include inventory, emergency fill-in of full time staff and working extra for trainings/cleanings.
• Demonstrate civil and respectful interactions with others.
• Set up areas for service and maintain the areas throughout the day until closed.
• Direct workers to and assist in checking on product; restocking and rotating food items.
• Direct workers to and assist in preparing food, including cooking, assembling and cutting, and serving hot and cold food items.
• Enrolled as student at the University of Iowa (during academic year).
• Must have 6 months previous food service leadership or equivalent experience.
• Must be a motivated self-starter and able to complete tasks independently in a timely manner.
• Good communication skills (written and verbal) and be positive and respectful in working with a diverse population.
• Must be reliable and dependable.
• Demonstrated commitment to GREAT customer service.
• Must be able to work through finals week.
• Must work 2 – 3 closing shifts per week and some flexibility in work schedule.
• Must be able to move up to 50 pounds and stand for long periods of time.
• Must successfully complete and maintain cash handling and credit card training.
• Basic computer software skills and some bookkeeping/accounting skills desirable.
• Meet and maintain the University Fleet Safety Program driving standards.
• Must be able to handle meat products.
• Cash Handling
• Safety Training for Dining Students
What you will learn:
You can expect to learn skills such as time management, conflict resolution, balancing priorities, attention to detail, interpersonal communication, customer service experience, and working with people from diverse backgrounds and working as part of a team. Although your job in the Division of Student Life may not be directly related to your future profession, the skills you learn here will help you in your chosen career path and give you valuable work experience to strengthen your resume.