Swim Lesson Instructor
Location: Campus Recreation & Wellness Center
Rate of pay: $11.25/hour
Hiring status: Currently hiring
Open to non-UI students: Yes
CRWC Swim Instructors will provide swimming and water safety instruction to children and adults following the American Red Cross Learn-To-Swim curriculum and guidelines.
• Teach age and skill appropriate group and private swimming lessons.
• Evaluate the progress of Learn-To-Swim participants.
• Arrive to work on time and prepared to teach.
• Prepare well-designed lesson plans for each class session.
• Provide reports regarding participant progress to participants, parents, and guardians.
• Complete and submit American Red Cross course records for classes taught.
• Maintain notes on participants and ideas for future classes.
• Participate in regular in-service training sessions and meetings.
• Maintain current certifications including any additional safety training.
• Complete additional duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Outstanding customer service skills.
• Ability to interact with diverse groups through a variety of situations.
• Mandatory attendance at regularly scheduled in-service trainings.
• Ability to use independent judgment when needed.
• Strong problem-solving skills.
• Must be able to accommodate a variable work schedule that may include early mornings, late evenings, and weekends.
• Must be a currently enrolled high school or college student.
• American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor is required.
• Must successfully complete a background check.
• Recreational Services Orientation
What you will learn:
You can expect to learn skills such as communicating with patrons of all ages and skill levels, swim etiquette, responsibility and accountability, and working with people from diverse backgrounds as well as part of a team. Although your job in the Division of Student Life may not be directly related to your future profession, the skills you learn here will help you in your chosen career path and give you valuable work experience to strengthen your resume.