Location: Iowa Memorial Union
Rate of pay: $11.50/hour
Hiring status: Currently hiring
Open to non-UI students: No
The Audio Visual Technician assists clients with their technical needs performing services such as setup, strike, and operation of audio, visual, lighting, staging, and/or other technical equipment and provides high quality, efficient, and effective event support and customer service in the Iowa Memorial Union.
• Responsible for oversight of events in the IMU, including but not limited to set-up, strike, and operation of audio, visual, lighting, staging, and/or other technical equipment according to special needs of clients.
• Maintain a professional attitude and conduct at all times as a customer service example for guests, and for other Event Services staff.
• Assists in the organization, maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair of technical systems and equipment.
• Performs additional job-related duties as necessary and/or assigned.
• REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Outgoing personality with excellent customer service skills.
• Demonstrated superior work ethic, and a high degree of initiative, commitment and responsibility.
• Highly responsible and willing to assist in, or perform a wide variety of duties.
• Ability to work independently and follow written and verbal instruction.
• Willing and able to work a flexible schedule including long and/or irregular hours, weeknights and weekends, days or nights as well as some football weekends.
• Ability to climb, walk, squat, kneel, climb ladders and stairs, and lift heavier loads.
• U of I Registered Student.
• PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Previous experience in live event production and/or in a customer service setting.
• Understanding of sound, lighting, and video systems.
• Understanding of staging principles and safety procedures.
• Basic office/computer skills.
• IMU Student Orientation
• Emergency Response Training
What you will learn:
You will learn the qualities of providing exceptional customer service including courtesy, professionalism, and effective interpersonal communication. You will gain experience in trouble shooting including receiving customer concerns, identifying priorities, and assessing resources in order to make time-sensitive decisions. As you learn and demonstrate the basics of setting up, operating, and trouble-shooting audio visual equipment you will gain progressive experience into the vast world of sound reinforcement.