Rate of pay: $10.50/hour
Work location: Iowa Memorial Union & Campus Recreation and Wellness Center, Iowa Memorial Union
Department: Vice President for Student Life (VPSL)
Status: Not currently hiring
What you will learnStudent Life Communications creates a real-world ad agency environment for up and coming marketers, designers, photographers, bloggers, animators, coders, illustrators, and videographers. We strive to hire outstanding and talented students studying in different areas of the university and will help you grow in your specific field. As a student, we use you as our greatest resource to tap into what college students want when it comes to communicating on-trend messaging and creative work. Your work will be featured within the Division of Student Life and throughout the campus community. The skills you learn here will help you in your chosen career path and give you valuable work experience to strengthen your portfolio, resume, and self-branding. Our goal is to help you grow into exceptional students, as well as focused creatives, that will lead the way in your professions after graduation. We offer alumni connections and two speaker series each year as outreach to build your communication in the marketing, design, and digital community. You can expect to learn skills such as time management, conflict resolution, balancing priorities, managing finances, interpersonal communication, customer service experience, working with people from diverse backgrounds, and working as part of a team. The skills you learn in your job within the Division of Student Life will help you in your chosen career path and give you valuable work experience to strengthen your resume and portfolio. With the completion of applicable paperwork, this role qualifies for internship status.
Basic job functionAs a student photographer, you will photograph various events and creative work within the Division of Student Life, various student organizations and external campus clients. You will work directly with clients, marketers, and graphic designers to obtain high quality photos to be used in various forms of media from print to websites.
- Shoot photos of events, spaces, and various other subjects as assigned.
- Independently schedule the assigned work ensuring that photos are taken within the defined criteria and by established deadlines.
- Edit and post-process photo projects to client or designer specifications.
- Obtain imagery for design and website projects by either shooting imagery or sourcing stock photos.
- Organize and manage all marketing and design photos, including sorting and tagging images.
- May be required to photograph events outside of normal work hours.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Candidates must be enrolled as a student at the University of Iowa with experience in photography.
- Electronic portfolio including a minimum of 10 photos; via e-mail, attachment or website link required.
- Experience and knowledge of photographic concepts such as light, composition, and exposure.
- Proficient with Adobe Photoshop.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills, self-motivated, and organized.
- Ability to interact with diverse groups through a variety of situations.
- Experience with studio lighting and/or flash photography, manipulating digital photos and retouching photos in Photoshop is desirable.
- Experience using an online photo gallery and having a working knowledge of digital photography with previous professional work in photography is desirable.
- Possible Driver’s License Check upon hire
- Ability to make a one-year commitment.
- IMU Emergency Response Staff (depending on physical location)
- Student Life Communications Orientation