Rate of pay: $10.50/hour
Work location: Iowa Memorial Union
Department: Vice President for Student Life (VPSL)
Status: Currently hiring
What you will learnStudent Life Communications creates a real-world ad agency environment for up and coming marketers, designers, photographers, bloggers, animators, coders, illustrators, and videographers. We strive to hire outstanding and talented students studying in different areas of the university and will help you grow in your specific field. As a student, we use you as our greatest resource to tap into what college students want when it comes to communicating on-trend messaging and creative work. Your work will be featured within the Division of Student Life and throughout the campus community. The skills you learn here will help you in your chosen career path and give you valuable work experience to strengthen your portfolio, resume, and self-branding. Our goal is to help you grow into exceptional students, as well as focused creatives, that will lead the way in your professions after graduation. We offer alumni connections and two speaker series each year as outreach to build your communication in the marketing, design, and digital community. You can expect to learn skills such as time management, conflict resolution, balancing priorities, managing finances, interpersonal communication, customer service experience, working with people from diverse backgrounds, and working as part of a team. The skills you learn in your job within the Division of Student Life will help you in your chosen career path and give you valuable work experience to strengthen your resume and portfolio. With the completion of applicable paperwork, this role qualifies for internship status.
Basic job functionAssist with writing requirements for the marketing and design department. Writing for annual reports, web content, social media and news stories.
- Write stories, interview subjects, and create social media posts in support of online marketing efforts.
- Assist in coordinating social media efforts for Student Life at Iowa.
- Write content for client websites such as IMU, Division of Student Life, Counseling Service and others
- Photography and/or videography of IMU events, marketing pieces, book store items, as they relate to the web.
- Fill in for photographers when needed.
- Journalism or English major preferred.
- Must have one semester of either academic or work experience in writing for online content.
- Basic knowledge of social media platforms and management.
- Ability to work under a deadline in a fast-pace environment.
- Previous understanding of the university structure and student activities is helpful.
- Well organized, willing to learn, and strong work ethic.
- Ability to provide writing sample from online medium; web, blog, newspaper.
- Ability to work for one year.
- IMU Emergency Response Staff (depending on physical location)
- Student Life Communications Orientation