Rate of pay: $10.00/hour
Work location: Macbride Nature Recreation Area - 2095 Mehaffey Bridge Rd. NE Solon, IA, Macbride Nature Recreation Area
Department: Recreational Services
Status: Not currently hiring
What you will learnYou can expect to learn skills such customer service experience, remaining calm in difficult situations, responsibility and accountability, and working with people from diverse backgrounds as well as part of a team. Although your job in the Division of Student Life may not be directly related to your future profession, the skills you learn here will help you in your chosen career path and give you valuable work experience to strengthen your resume.
Basic job functionTo assist with the operations of the UI Wildlife Camps Program at Macbride Nature Recreation Area.
- Instruct environmentally-based activities for daily groups participating in camps as well as recreational activities for the entire camp.
- Assisting Coordinator and Assistant Coordinator with managing the care and safety of the students participating in camps.
- Arrive at camp check-in punctually and leave upon Coordinator’s discretion at the end of the camp day.
- Self-motivated, energetic and willingness to be flexible in duties and interactions with students. Maintain a positive attitude at all times.
- Focusing on working as a team with other Instructors, Coordinators, Assistant Coordinators, Bus Drivers, and high school volunteers.
- Good communication skills when meeting with campers, parents/guardians, co-workers and supervisors.
- REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Previous leadership positions with youth
- Interest and experience in the natural world.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Mandatory attendance at orientation training for UI Wildlife Camps.
- DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Previous participation in the 2017 Kestrel Corps orientation, training, and volunteer program of UI Wildlife Camps.
- College major or degree in fields related to environmental education (sciences, education, etc.).
- University of Iowa student.
- Criminal Background Check upon hire
- CPR/AED/ First Aid Certification
- Completion of University of Iowa Bloodborne Pathogens training
- Recreational Services Orientation