Rate of pay: $16.00/hour
Work location: Macbride Nature Recreation Area - 2095 Mehaffey Bridge Rd. NE Solon, IA, Macbride Nature Recreation Area
Department: Recreational Services
Status: Not currently hiring
What you will learnYou can expect to learn skills such customer service experience, remaining calm in difficult situations, responsibility and accountability, and working with people from diverse backgrounds as well as part of a team. Although your job in the Division of Student Life may not be directly related to your future profession, the skills you learn here will help you in your chosen career path and give you valuable work experience to strengthen your resume.
Basic job functionTo assist with the operations of the University of Iowa Wildlife Camps Program at either MNRA or various state park locations. Coordinate schedules and activities for students and staff of assigned camp.
- Designing environmentally-based activities for daily groups participating in camps as well as recreational activities for the entire camp.
- Arrive at camp check-in prior to Instructors and stay until campers have gone home or leave upon camp director’s discretion at the end of the camp day.
- Be self-motivated, energetic and willingness to be flexible in duties and interactions with students. Maintain a positive attitude at all times.
- Focusing on working as a team with others, such as Wildlife Camp Instructors, Assistant Coordinators, Bus Drivers, high school volunteers or other collaborators.
- Use good communication skills when meeting with campers, parents/guardians, co-workers and supervisors.
- Oversee the care and safety of students participating in camp.
- Discretion when handling personal information about attendees.
- Compassionate regard for others, especially when working with campers who have different abilities, behavioral issues or mental illnesses.
- Flexibility when working in different environments then planned. For example, extreme heat or severe weather that requires a camp to move to an indoor facility.
- Ability to change curriculum at short notice due to unforeseen changes in current plans.
- Taking initiative to care for campers, shared spaces including transportation, supplies, natural habitats, etc. when a supervisor is not available to consult with immediately and decisions need to be made efficiently and effectively.
- Two years of experience in a leadership position working with youth
- Interest and experience in the natural world.
- College Degree in Education, the Sciences, or related experience(s).
- Mandatory attendance at orientation training for UI Wildlife Camps.
- Criminal Background Check upon hire
- CPR/AED/ First Aid Certification
- Completion of University of Iowa Bloodborne Pathogens training
- Recreational Services Orientation