Rate of pay: $13.00/hour
Work location: MacBride Nature Recreation Area - 2095 Mehaffey Bridge Rd. NE Solon, IA, Macbride Nature Recreation Area
Department: Recreational Services
Status: Not currently hiring
What you will learnYou can expect to learn skills such as communicating with patrons of all ages and skill levels, swim etiquette, responsibility and accountability, and working with people from diverse backgrounds as well as part of a team. Although your job in the Division of Student Life may not be directly related to your future profession, the skills you learn here will help you in your chosen career path and give you valuable work experience to strengthen your resume
Basic job functionTo assist with the operations of the UI Wildlife Camps. Work with Coordinator to plan and implement camp activities each day and assist in organizing the daily schedule of the camp.
- Assist in designing environmentally-based activities for daily groups participating in camps as well as recreational activities for the entire camp.
- Assisting Coordinator with managing the care and safety of the students participating in camps.
- Arrive at camp check-in before Instructors to lead the daily check in of campers, as well as the daily check out, and leave upon Coordinator’s discretion at the end of the camp day.
- Self-motivated, energetic and willingness to be flexible in duties and interactions with students. Maintain a positive attitude at all times.
- Focusing on working as a team with other Instructors, Coordinators and Bus Drivers.
- Good communication skills when meeting with students, parents/guardians, co-workers and supervisors.
- Complete daily safety checks of the shared spaces and supplies for camp. Communicating to families any accidents or injuries that occurred.
- Assist Coordinator with incidents involving behavior issues.
- Daily clean-up and lock-up of supply boxes and shared spaces as well as supplies, i.e.; canoes or SUPs, ordering more art materials from Director for activities planned.
- Checking with Coordinator about plans for the next day or week of camp after campers have left every afternoon
- Previous leadership positions with youth
- Interest and experience in the natural world.
- College degree or within a semester of receiving it.
- Mandatory attendance at orientation training for UI Wildlife Camps.
- Criminal Background Check upon hire
- CPR/AED/ First Aid Certification
- Completion of University of Iowa Bloodborne Pathogens training
- Recreational Service Orientation