Rate of pay: $11.00/hour
Work location: Iowa Memorial Union
Department: University Housing & Dining (UH&D)
Status: Currently hiring
What you will learnYou can expect to learn skills such as time management, conflict resolution, balancing priorities, attention to detail, interpersonal communication, customer service experience, and working with people from diverse backgrounds and working as part of a team. Although your job in the Division of Student Life may not be directly related to your future profession, the skills you learn here will help you in your chosen career path and give you valuable work experience to strengthen your resume.
Basic job functionPerforms a variety of tasks involved in the service of food and beverages for Catering and Hancher events including busing, cocktail and table service, event setup, and clean-up.
- Ensure that assigned event space is ready for service prior to guest arrival.
- Responsible for set up, service, and clean-up of catered events.
- Respond to inquiries from customers in a positive and professional manner.
- Maintain cleanliness of service area and ensure that all equipment is clean and orderly at the close of the shift.
- Participate in the proper labeling and storage of food and beverage items following the service period.
- Check identification for age before serving any alcohol.
- Prepare and serve beverages according to standard procedure and quantity.
- Record information used by supervisors for billing and inventory control.
- Responsible for security of alcohol during events.
- Act as a team member with all staff and supervisor in a cooperative manner.
- Assist in on-the-job training of other student employees.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Enrolled as UI student during academic year.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must be able to move up to 50 lbs. and stand for long periods of time.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends and be flexible in scheduling from week to week.
- Good communication skills (verbal and written) and be positive and respectful in working with a diverse population.
- Demonstrated commitment to GREAT customer service.
- Previous catering experience preferred but not required.
- Safety Training for Dining Students
- I-PACT Training