Temporary Kitchen Helper I (Non-Student Position)
Location: Iowa Memorial Union
Rate of pay: $16.00/hour
Hiring status: Currently hiring
Open to non-UI students: Yes
The Division of Student Life; University Housing & Dining is seeking a Temporary Kitchen Helper I to join the team at the Iowa Memorial Union Kitchen. Under direct supervision, this position will perform routine cleaning duties in an efficient, effective, and sanitary manner in the food service areas of Campus Dining Operations. Will also perform other related preparation and sanitization duties as required.
• Scraping, sorting and washing dishes, glassware, utensils, pots and pans.
• Operating and cleaning dishwashing and pot and pan machines.
• Moving clean dishes, glassware, utensils, pots and pans and supplies to and from storage areas.
• Disposing of garbage, and cleaning and sanitizing garbage can.
• Cleaning and sanitizing food carts with live steam and detergents.
• Cleaning kitchen equipment including refrigerators, stoves, hoods, vents, slicers, choppers and tables.
• Cleaning and mopping floors and cleaning and washing walls.
• Cleaning and sanitizing utility cabinets, lockers and the loading dock.
• Assisting in arrangement of dining area equipment, supplies, etc., and in set up and clean up for special events.
• Assisting receiving or storeroom clerk as required.
• Assisting in on-the-job training of students and other employees assigned to the food service sanitation areas.
• Coordinating work of students and other part-time employees assigned to sanitation and food service areas.
• Performing other related duties and responsibilities as required or assigned.
• Ability to read, write, and follow directions.
• Ability to read, write and follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
• Knowledge of operation and care of dishwashing machines.
• Ability to maintain a safe, clean work area.
• Ability to insure dishes, pans, glassware, and utensils are properly scraped or rinsed before placing in dishwashing machine.
• Ability to maintain effective working relationship with others.
• Ability to stand for long periods of time.
• Ability to count, add, subtract and convert to decimals.
• Knowledge of principles of sanitation, health hazards, and the necessary precautionary measures.
• Slips Trips & Falls Training
• Personal Protective Equipment Training
• Back Safety Training
• Hand Safety Training
• Hazard Communication Training
• Machine Guarding Training
• Safety Training for Dining Students
What you will learn:
You can expect to learn skills such as time management, conflict resolution, balancing priorities, managing finances, interpersonal communication, customer service experience, and working with people from diverse backgrounds and working as part of a team.