Rate of pay: $11.00/hour
Work location: Devlin Family Cafe, Lindquist Center
Department: University Housing & Dining (UH&D)
Status: Currently hiring
What you will learnYou can expect to learn skills such as time management, conflict resolution, balancing priorities, attention to detail, interpersonal communication, customer service experience, and working with people from diverse backgrounds and working as part of a team. Although your job in the Division of Student Life may not be directly related to your future profession, the skills you learn here will help you in your chosen career path and give you valuable work experience to strengthen your resume.
Basic job functionPerform various tasks including the preparation and cooking of food, serving a diverse group of customers, and cleaning/sanitation duties to meet required standards.
- Wash and restock dishes and utensils.
- Clean and sanitize tables and other surfaces.
- Set up areas for service on or off premises and tear down at end of service.
- Check in product.
- Prepare food, including cooking, assembling and cutting, and serve hot and cold food items
- Restock and rotate food items.
- Cover, label and store food and beverages within established procedures
- Handle cash and operate cash register.
- Respond courteously and promptly to customer concerns and inquiries.
- Demonstrate civil and respectful interactions with others.
- Dress in proper work attire per department guidelines.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Enrolled as student at the University of Iowa (during academic year).
- Must be a motivated self-starter and able to complete tasks in a timely manner with minimal supervision.
- Good communication skills (written and verbal) and be positive and respectful in working with a diverse population.
- Must be reliable and dependable.
- Demonstrated commitment to GREAT customer service.
- Must be able to work through finals week.
- Must be able to move up to 50 pounds and stand for long periods of time.
- Must successfully complete and maintain cash handling and credit card training.
- Must be able to handle meat products.
- Cash Handling
- Safety Training for Dining Students