Location: Power Cafe
Rate of pay: $12.03/hour
Hiring status: Currently hiring
Open to non-UI students: No
Assist in providing direction and supervision for student employees in assigned areas. Tasks may include food preparation, serving customers, sanitation, cash handling, and promoting a positive customer experience.
• May open and close retail operations independently. Perform assigned job responsibilities independent of management supervision.
• Assist in enforcement of departmental policies and procedures, providing supervision and direction to student employees to meet required performance standards.
• Report operational and performance issues to supervisor.
• Provide leadership and serve as professional role model.
• Assists in organizing staffing assignment for all work areas and redistributes student employees as needed in the absence of supervisor, or as assigned.
• Assists in ensuring a high level of customer service, answering questions, addressing concerns and displaying a friendly disposition. Communicates with supervisor on duty. Completes daily shift report documenting any incidents or concerns involving facilities, equipment, customers and/or employees.
• Ensures student employees follow established food preparation, service, and sanitation guidelines.
• Assist in overseeing clean up, supervising student staff and ensuring all tasks are completed in a timely manner.
• Complies with all safe food-handling procedures and complying with all personal hygiene, grooming, and uniform requirements.
• Assist in training new student employees and ensure they understand all their assigned tasks and responsibilities.
• Assists in monitoring cashier/checker functions and activities including unauthorized guest entry, removal of food or supplies from the work area, and general flow of lines. Provide checker backup assistance as needed including completing closing reports, recording customer counts, and incident reports.
• Demonstrate civil and respectful interactions with others.
• Wash and restock dishes and utensils; clean and sanitize tables and other surfaces.
• Set up areas for service on or off premises and tear down at end of service.
• Check in product; restock and rotate food items.
• Prepare food, including cooking, assembling and cutting, and serve hot and cold food items.
• Enrolled as student at the University of Iowa (during academic year).
• Must have 3 – 6 months previous food service leadership or equivalent experience.
• Must be a motivated self-starter and able to complete tasks independently in a timely manner.
• Good communication skills (written and verbal) and be positive and respectful in working with a diverse population.
• Must be reliable and dependable.
• Demonstrated commitment to GREAT customer service.
• Must be able to work through finals week.
• Must work 2 – 3 closing shifts per week and some flexibility in work schedule.
• Must be able to move up to 50 pounds and stand for long periods of time.
• Must successfully complete and maintain cash handling and credit card training.
• Basic computer software skills and some bookkeeping/accounting skills desirable.
• Meet and maintain the University Fleet Safety Program driving standards.
• Must be able to handle meat products.
• Cash Handling
• Safety Training for Dining Students
What you will learn:
You can expect to learn skills such as time management, conflict resolution, balancing priorities, attention to detail, interpersonal communication, customer service experience, and working with people from diverse backgrounds and working as part of a team. Although your job in the Division of Student Life may not be directly related to your future profession, the skills you learn here will help you in your chosen career path and give you valuable work experience to strengthen your resume.