How to apply on Handshake
Step 1: log-in to Handshake and complete your profile
- Use your Hawk ID and password to reach your Handshake homepage.
- Under the My Account tab on the left side of your homepage, you will find the Personal, Academic, and Privacy pages. Edit and complete the required fields on these pages.
Step 2: add documents
- Click on the Documents tab.
- Click Add New & Pending to add new documents (resume, cover letter, applications, etc.).
- The first resume you submit needs to be approved by the Career Center, which will take 24-48 hours. You can find uploaded and approved documents on the Approved page.
Step 3: complete the Student Employment Application
- Under the Help tab, select FAQ & Resources.
- Click on the link for the Student Employment Application to download the file.
- Complete the application, save it to your computer, and add it to your Documents section. Make sure to change the Document Type to Student Employment Application and give it a label.
Step 4: find a job
- Under the Current Postings tab, select Search & Apply.
- To see only student employment opportunities, click on the Student Employment tab.
- Use keywords like “IMU”, “Rec Services”, and “Housing & Dining” or click on Advanced Search to select criteria that is important to you.
- Focus on Position Type, Job Function, Semester Student Employment is Available, and On-Campus Student Employment Job sections.
Step 5: save your search (optional)
- Once you find matching jobs from your Advanced Search, click Save Search.
- Give the search a Title, and select how often you would like to receive emails with new results only.
- You can find your saved searches later under the Save Search dropdown.
Step 6: apply for a job
- To view a position, click on the job title.
- Click on the Apply button to submit the requested documents.
- If the Apply button is not available, this means you do not have the documents uploaded within the Documents tab. Refer to Step 2.
- If the employer wants you to apply outside of the system, directions will be listed under How to Apply within the job posting.
Step 7: follow up on your application
- After applying for jobs, you can follow your applications by clicking on My Applications.
- Handshake tracks your activity and provides a reminder about when you applied for each job.
Step 8: follow up with your employer
- We suggest you follow-up with the employer about the status of your application via email within 7-10 days.
- Below is a template to help you with the follow-up email to use as a guide.
Dear Mr./Ms. “Name”,
My name is “Name” and I recently applied for the “name of position” job at “organization name” on “date”. I wanted to email you today to reiterate my interest in the position and ask if there is any other information I can provide you about myself. “A sentence about why you are passionate about the job.” I thank you very much for your time and I look forward to being in touch with you in the near future.
Bachelors of Science, Health Studies “Degree”
University of Iowa
319-555-5555 “Phone #”