How to apply on Handshake
Step 1: log-in to Handshake and complete your profile
- Use your Hawk ID and password to reach your Handshake homepage.
- Under the My Account tab in the upper right hand corner, click on your initials and then “My Profile” to update your profile and/or access your privacy settings. Edit and complete the required fields on these pages.
Step 2: add documents
- Click on your initials in the upper right hand corner and then “My Documents”.
- Click on “Add New Document” to add new documents (resume, cover letter, applications etc.)
- You can remove – we no longer need to approve resumes, they are auto-approved.
Step 3: find a job
- Click “Jobs” in the top left corner.
- Click the “On Campus” button or search by keyword and location Iowa City (ex. University Housing & Dining, Recreational Services)
- You can choose “All Filters” to conduct an advanced search
Step 4: save your search (optional)
- Once you find matching jobs from your Search, click Save Search.
- Give the search a Title, and select how often you would like to receive emails with new results only.
- You can find your saved searches later under the Save Search dropdown.
Step 5: apply for a job
- To view a position, click on the job title.
- Click on the Apply button to submit the requested documents.
- If the Apply button is not available, this means you do not have the documents uploaded within the Documents tab. Refer to Step 2.
Step 6: follow up on your application
- After applying for jobs, you can follow your applications by clicking on – your initials in the upper right hand corner and then “My Jobs” or “My Interviews”.
Step 8: follow up with your employer
- We suggest you follow-up with the employer about the status of your application via email within 7-10 days.
- Below is a template to help you with the follow-up email to use as a guide.
Dear Mr./Ms. “Name”,
My name is “Name” and I recently applied for the “name of position” job at “organization name” on “date”. I wanted to email you today to reiterate my interest in the position and ask if there is any other information I can provide you about myself. “A sentence about why you are passionate about the job.” I thank you very much for your time and I look forward to being in touch with you in the near future.
Bachelors of Science, Health Studies “Degree”
University of Iowa
319-555-5555 “Phone #”