IFLY Assistant Coach
Location: Campus Recreation & Wellness Center
Rate of pay: $11.00/hour
Hiring status: Currently hiring
Open to non-UI students: No
Assistant Swim Coaches provide instruction and coaching for various training groups within the Iowa Flyers Swim Club, a USA Swimming sanctioned swim club operated by University of Iowa Recreational Services.
• Write and administer swim practices for groups within the Iowa Flyers team while following the philosophy and workout structure of the Head Coach.
• Communicate practice content, practice outcomes and goals for your group to the head coach on a consistent basis
• Take regular attendance and communicate to Head Coach any group changes on a daily basis if appropriate.
• Attend coaching staff meetings as requested by Head Coach.
• Attend swim meets as needed or requested by Head Coach.
• Event preparation and setup including pool configuration, timing system, public address systems, scoreboard and meet management computers.
• Any additional duties as assigned by the Head Coach.
• Prior swimming experience as a competitor or a swim coach or both
• Outstanding customer service skills; competent computer and audio-visual skills.
• Ability to interact with diverse groups through a variety of situations.
• Display a positive and encouraging attitude at every practice session
• Ability to teach swimmers various skills with both patience and enthusiasm
• Ability to use independent judgment when needed.
• Strong problem-solving skills.
• Must be able to accommodate a variable work schedule that may include early mornings, late evening and weekends.
• CPR/AED/First-Aid certification or ability to obtain upon hire.
• Must successfully complete a background check.
• Completion of University of Iowa Bloodborne Pathogens training
• Recreational Services Orientation
What you will learn:
You can expect to learn skills such as leadership, time management, providing appropriate feedback, and working with people from diverse backgrounds as well as part of a team. Although your job in the Division of Student Life may not be directly related to your future profession, the skills you learn here will help you in your chosen career path and give you valuable work experience to strengthen your resume.